Can't stand the heat? A chilli-eating challenge gone wrong

Many of us have had our mouths accosted by food so spicy it feels as though you could burst, but few have actually had it happen.

For this 47-year-old man, however, a chilli-eating challenge ended in the ED when ingestion of ghost pepper puree, one of the hottest chillies in the world, perforated his oesophagus.

The contestant presented to a hospital in California with severe chest and epigastric abdominal pain following violent retching and vomiting.

A chest X-ray and CT scan revealed pneumomediastinum with air around the distal

Latest

Trending