Condom used to retrieve game piece from toddler’s stomach

When a toddler in China swallowed a small plastic board game piece, doctors fell back on a simple contraceptive to help them remove the foreign body.

The two-year-old, known only as Xiaohao, was taken to a hospital in the city of Zhongshan in South China’s Guangdong Province after swallowing the ‘Go’ board game token known as a ‘stone’.

Doctors at Zhongshan People’s Hospital found the stone in scans of the boy’s stomach and first attempted to retrieve it endoscopically using a pair of basket grasping forceps.