How the world’s hottest chilli caused a rare brain disorder

Never-before-seen case serves as a warning to hot-food aficionados

No amount of milk was going to soothe the side effects this man experienced after eating the world’s hottest chilli pepper — the Carolina Reaper.

CT_chilli

The 34-year-old landed himself in hospital days after taking part in a hot-pepper-eating contest in New York, where he consumed just one of the chillies, averaging a scorching 1.5 million Scoville units.

He reported immediately dry heaving after eating the pepper followed by the development of intense head and neck pain, according to BMJ Case Reports.

Over the next

Latest

Trending