12 reasons codeine should be prescription only
The TGA's decision to recommend rescheduling codeine to prescription-only status is based on the following concerns about the drug, raised in submissions to the Advisory Committee on Medicines Scheduling:
- Codeine alone is ineffective as an analgesic in doses of less than 60mg.
- Doses used in over-the-counter products provide little additional analgesic effect over that provided by the accompanying analgesics.
- Lack of evidence of efficacy as antitussive.
- OTC availability supports the misperception that codeine is safe.
- An effective and safer alternative over-the-counter analgesic