6 steps for dealing with a family violence disclosure
Research shows that most people who have been abused want to be asked about domestic violence and are more likely to disclose if they're asked.
The Law Council of Australia lists six key steps that doctors should take after patient disclosure.
- Non-judgemental listening and validation
- Initial safety assessment
- Referrals to police, help line, legal service or victims service
- Continuing care by providing support and ensuring confidentiality
- Mandatory reporting — if required
- Note-taking for legal purposes