Alert over toy that swells to golf-ball size in the gut
Infants are at risk of bowel obstruction from ingestion of tiny, water-absorbing, toy beads that can swell to the size of a golf ball, poisons specialists warn.
The tiny beads marketed as “fairy eggs”, “jelly beads”, and “hydro orbs”, are made from superabsorbent polymer that can expand up to 400 times its original size when in contact wth moisture.
The water beads are also sold as sensory learning aids for autistic children.
However, a report from the NSW Poisons Information Centre at The Children’s