Deadly mushrooms cooked by chef
The meal containing the toxic mushrooms that killed two New Year’s Eve partygoers was prepared in a commercial kitchen by a chef for a private dinner, according to the ACT Health Directorate.
The chef was reportedly 38-year old Liu Jun who mistakenly used toxic death cap mushrooms in a meal for his friends, including kitchen hand Tsou Hsiang, 52, thinking they were a common edible variety used in Chinese cooking.
Both died from liver failure in a Sydney hospital on Tuesday night while waiting for liver transplants. The pair had worked in a Chinese bistro at the Harmonie German Club, Narrabundah, Canberra.