Don’t reduce GP rebates
1. Co-payments for all non-concessional patients.
2. No reduction in GP rebates and no freeze. General practice needs more support, not less, to keep patients well and out of expensive hospital care.
3. Introduce a dedicated item number for all patients aged 60 and over, or with a terminal illness, to do an advance care directive with legal backup to protect the patients with terminal illness from futile treatments. This would save a lot of money.
4. Negotiate cost of generics down to match New Zealand and UK prices.
5. When ordering radiology/pathology, multiple doctors involved in care should include copies to all treating doctors to avoid expensive duplication.
6. Remove non-evidence-based treatments from Medicare and private health funding.