Fatal reaction to medication despite 14 notes in medical file
Carol Whiteford was admitted to Northam hospital in Western Australia in March 2008 for a cataract operation, but within hours was dying after being given a 250mg dose of acetazolamide (Diamox).
The pill, containing sulphonamides, was administered despite Mrs Whiteford's medical file containing at least 14 documents in which her allergy to sulphur-based medications was recorded.
A red alert bracelet indicating a patient had allergies was also worn on Mrs Whiteford's wrist.
At the opening of an inquest yesterday, Coroner Dominic Mulligan was tasked to investigate whether the recording of Mrs Whiteford's