Five metformin products added to shortages list
The metformin shortage is worsening, with a further five products added to the TGA website.
The products are listed as unavailable until the end of February 2019 due to an unexpected increase in demand.
In total, seven metformin extended-release products are in shortage:
- Metex XR 500 mg (Arrow Pharmacy)
- Metex XR 1000 mg (Arrow Pharmacy)
- Metformin XR 500 (Apotex)
- Blooms the Chemist metformin XR 500 (Apotex)
- Blooms the Chemist metformin XR 1000 (Apotex)
- Apo-metformin XR 500 (Apotex)
- Apo-metformin XR 1000 (Apotex)
The TGA is continuing to contact all metformin sponsors to determine supply status.
“Where shortages have been identified, sponsors have been encouraged to publish this information on the TGA website,” as spokesperson said.
“The TGA continues to closely monitor the situation.”
Related news: Are we heading for a repeat of the metformin shortages?