Man develops cyanide poisoning from apricot kernel extract

He had been taking two teaspoons a day

A 67-year-old Australian man has developed cyanide poisoning from apricot kernel extract.

apricot kernel

Doctors from Melbourne’s Alfred Hospital report that they first noticed he had hypoxia when he was under anaesthetic for routine surgery.

Blood tests showed that he had high levels of cyanide in his body.

The man explained that he had been taking two teaspoons of homemade apricot kernel extract every day for the past five years, in addition to three tablets of Novodalin — a herbal fruit kernel supplement.

Apricot kernels

Latest

Trending