Methotrexate overdose deaths prompt call for action

Restrictions on methotrexate pack sizes may be needed because repeated warnings about medication errors have failed to curb deaths from inadvertent overdosing, experts say.

The increasing use of the immune-modulating drug in weekly doses for conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis has been linked to at least 22 deaths due to dosing errors, an Australian review finds.

Data from coronial inquests, the TGA and Poisons Information Centres suggest that patients are accidentally overdosing on methotrexate because of errors in packaging, prescribing and

Latest

Trending