Minister defends health data security
Australia's electronic health record system has military-grade security and people should stick with it, says Minister for Health Greg Hunt.
Almost six million people have signed up for a My Health Record — a digital medical history — over its six years of operations.
But there are fresh concerns of possible cyber-security threats and privacy breaches.
The government has opened a three-month opt-out window, ending on 15 October, for people who do not want a record created for them.
After this date, an e-health record will be created for every Australia by default.
A number of people reported on Monday not being able to log in or get through to a hotline to opt out of the scheme, but the problems were being ironed out.
Mr Hunt said world-leading security had meant there had been no breaches of the system over the past six years.
"It is not just bank-level security but the