Pharmacy failed to pick up fatal script error: coroner

A New Zealand pharmacy faces a Ministry of Health investigation after a coroner ruled it should have picked up a doctors prescribing mistake which led to a patients’ death.

Dunedin man Kenneth Douglas (72) died in 2012 from gastrointestinal haemorrhage due to methotrexate toxicity, said a coroner who regarded his death as “preventable”.

The initial mistake occurred when Dr Anne-Marie Tangney typed ‘three daily’ rather than ‘three weekly’ on his prescription for methotrexate, according to the

Latest

Trending