Poisoning spike sparks warning to avoid all wild mushrooms

It’s difficult to tell the difference between edible and poisonous mushrooms and it can be highly dangerous if you eat the wrong one, Royal Botanic Gardens deputy executive director Dr Brett Summerell (PhD) said.

He advises people to avoid all wild mushrooms.

“Unless you’re with an expert who knows each individual species of mushroom very, very well, you should not eat them, because many species are toxic and cause illnesses and in some cases, death,” he said. 

Latest

Trending