Qld medics on alert as bacteria kills boy

GPs and emergency departments are being told to be on alert for more cases following the youngster's death.

The boy, from Caboolture, north of Brisbane, died at Mater Hospital after what medics called a "a rapidly progressive illness" caused by the infection.

They said he had "overwhelming septic shock".

Two men in their 90s who died at Greenslopes Private Hospital's rehabilitation centre last week also had the bacteria in their system.

Queensland chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young told the Courier-Mail she was worried about the deaths.

"I've decided to alert all GPs and emergency departments.

"There's more of the bacteria circulating in the community for whatever reason."

Acting director of the Metro North Public Health Unit Dr Madhumati Chatterji said officials were in contact with the boy's family and the childcare centre he attended.

"Appropriate preventive measures are being undertaken,

Latest

Trending