Time to think carbon monoxide

With winter in full swing, doctors need to be alert to the symptoms of accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from faulty heaters, a NSW anaesthetist says.

But diagnosis can be difficult in a general practice setting, says Dr Barbara Robertson of Albury Wodonga Health.

“Headaches, malaise, nausea and dizziness are common, and gradual cognitive deterioration and reduction in functional capacity have been reported in low-grade chronic exposure,” she and co-author Amanda Cohn write in the MJA.

&ldquo

Latest

Trending