Two dead as Tasmanian moonshine investigated

The deaths this week of the two middle-aged men have been linked to a white, milky spirit consumed by as many as a dozen people in Tasmania's northeast.

A 54-year-old died in his bed on Monday and a 49-year-old collapsed in the main street of coastal retreat St Helens on Wednesday and could not be revived.

Toxicology reports will confirm whether the spirit caused their deaths and police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Another 10 people have been contacted and told to seek medical advice, but authorities are confident the danger period of 36–72 hours has passed.

Police and health officials have issued a public warning not to drink home-made spirits.

"We're really concerned that there may be a product out in the community that could be very harmful," Inspector John King told reporters in Hobart.

It is believed one of the dead men produced the spirit and a group of people may have consumed it at a party last

Latest

Trending