World’s hottest chilli sparks health warning

First reported case of spice-induced thunderclap headache

Doctors in the US have issued a warning against eating very hot chillies after a 34-year-old man turned up at an emergency department with “excruciating” thunderclap headaches.

red hot chilli

His symptoms began with dry heaves but no vomiting immediately after participating in a chilli-eating contest in which he ate a 'Carolina reaper’, the world's hottest chili.

An account published in BMJ Case Reports says he developed intense neck and occipital head pain that became holocephalic.

During the next few days, his doctors report that he experienced “brief, intense

Latest

Trending