Carbon monoxide danger in burning charcoal briquettes

According to a letter in the MJA, there have been 46 cases of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning due to exposure to fumes from briquettes in NSW alone since 2004.

All poisonings occurred at night and were due to burning the charcoal for heating. 

There are currently warnings on the briquettes alerting users to the risk. However, the letter urges review of their visibility and readability.

“In addition, the possibility of using targeted safety messages in cooler months should be considered,” the authors wrote.

MJA 2013;198:86

Latest

Trending