Children's attraction to magnet swallowing surging

The paediatricians warned of the threat posed by rare-earth magnets, which are 10 to 20 times more powerful than older ferrite magnets, reporting the case of a three-year-old boy who swallowed three five millimetre magnets.

The magnets had migrated beyond the reach of an endoscope and after two days had adhered to each other in the right lower quadrant of the boy’s abdomen.

On the third day, the boy developed tacchycardia and a fever and doctors decided to perform a laparoscopic-assisted enterotomy to remove the magnets, which had eroded through two loops

Latest

Trending