Consensus statement on biosimilars
Consensus-based recommendations for use of biosimilars in rheumatology have been published this week. Their eight recommendations are:
- Biosimilars must decrease the cost of treatment and increase patient access to treatment.
- Approved biosimilars can be used to treat patients in the same way as the original bio-originators.
- Antidrug antibodies to biosimilars need not be measured in clinical practice.
- Relevant preclinical and phase I trial data on a biosimilar should be made available when phase III data is published.
- Confirmation of a biosimilar’s safety and