Doctor contracts dengue fever from needlestick

A PERTH-based doctor has contracted dengue fever from a needlestick injury, in the first recorded case of its kind in Australia.

The 27-year-old resident medical officer became ill in January with high fever, muscle weakness and headache.

"She recalled that five days prior to symptom onset, she had sustained a penetrating needlestick injury through her gloved finger while taking blood," Dr Ben Clark, from the Department of Infectious Diseases at Fremantle Hospital, said.

"Enquiry revealed the donor patient had presented with suspected dengue fever after travel to Bali."

Tests revealed the patient and doctor were both positive for the same dengue serotype.

The unique case, to be presented at the annual scientific meeting of the Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases (ASID) underway in Lorne, Victoria, demonstrated travellers could pose a dengue transmission risk outside regions where vector

Latest

Trending