Eating livers of carnivorous fish may lead to vitamin A toxicity

EATING carnivorous fish liver can lead to vitamin A toxicity, physicians warn, following reports of three cases in children of Chinese background.

The unrelated cases show vitamin A toxicity should be considered in the differential diagnosis of acute food poisoning, they said.

A 23-month-old girl, an 11-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy each presented to a New Zealand hospital with similar symptoms, including vomiting, headache, sore eyes and an exfoliative rash.

Each had eaten fish liver less than a day before falling ill, and the teenager had also taken regular supplements containing vitamin A.

J Paediatr Child Health 2011, online 17 June