Flat-pack furniture screws the culprit in cases of kids’ distress

THE boom in popularity of flat-pack furniture puts young children at risk of inhaling small objects, Perth doctors say.

Two cases of inhalation of metal screws from flat-packed goods were reported at the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand conference in Perth this week.

Doctors from the department of paediatric respiratory medicine at Princess Margaret Hospital said foreign body inhalation was not considered as a cause of the children’s respiratory distress and fever until the object was identified on chest x-ray.

The literature includes few cases of inhaled metal screws, they indicated.

Latest

Trending