Hookah smoke leads to severe CO poisoning

AUSTRALIA’S first reported hookah-related, severe carbon monoxide poisoning case has sparked calls for tighter regulation and increased awareness of risks.

A 20-year-old woman was rushed to hospital after an episode of presyncope, experiencing light-headedness, nausea and mild headache an hour after using a water pipe.

 She was diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning, which can cause potentially irreversible neurological dysfunction and myocardial toxicity, on the basis of venous and arterial blood gas levels. She was lethargic but reported no weakness, sensory disturbances or seizure.

&nbsp