RA patient dies after prescribing error

A New Zealand GP and pharmacy have been named in a coroner’s report after a man died of a methotrexate overdose following a prescribing error.

Dunedin man Kenneth Douglas, 72, died in 2012 from gastrointestinal haemorrhage due to methotrexate toxicity, said a coroner who regarded his death as “preventable”.

The initial mistake occurred when Dr Anne-Marie Tangney typed “three daily” instead of “three weekly” on his prescription for methotrexate, according to the coroner’s report.

Latest

Trending