5 things GPs hate about discharge summaries (and 7 ways to make them better)
Hospital discharge summaries remain the bane of many GPs’ professional lives.
A survey of 118 Australian GPs reveals the top five frustrations with summaries - and seven items that GPs rate as most important to include.
According to the results, GPs are most dissatisfied with these five aspects:
- Timelines (“you often don’t get one”);
- No information on patient’s condition on discharge;
- No reasons given for changes in medications;
- Pathology results not prioritised; and
- Format of summary (“overloaded with