Grilled herrings, with a side of emphysema

The fishbone migrated into the patient’s neck muscles

While accidental bone ingestion is a fairly common complaint, this case is a different kettle of fish.

X-ray

Shortly after eating grilled wolf herring, a 54-year-old woman in Malaysia began experiencing excruciating pain and a foreign body sensation in her throat.

Her attempts to dislodge the bone by self-induced vomiting only made matters worse, leading to a choking sensation, dyspnoea and progressive neck swelling.

Presenting to ED, doctors palpated her neck and noted extensive crepitus from the jaw down to the clavicle.

Latest

Trending