Medical Must-See: Fire-eater accidentally inhales during performance

He spent 40 days in hospital with the eponymous condition

While burnout is a serious occupational hazard for health professionals, it became an OH&S issue in a more literal sense for a fire-eating performance artist, who inadvertently inhaled when he shouldn't have.

High-res CT

The 19-year-old smoker (no pun intended) presented to ED after accidentally aspirating Pyrofluid — a high-purity fuel mixture — during his show.

Within minutes of the inhalation, he felt nauseated, with dyspnoea and mild dry cough.

On admission, he experienced an episode of

Latest