Swallowed AA battery mimics MI

Luckily for the patient, his ECG abnormalities did not keep going and going…

An inmate decided to swap his prison cell for a battery cell when he intentionally swallowed an AA battery and ended up in ED.


But in a case for the history books, or rather the Annals of Internal Medicine, this single battery caused the man to have a ‘heart attack’ — or so it seemed.

The 26-year-old presented to a hospital in Florence, Italy, with abdominal discomfort two hours after ingestion.

His medical history was significant for borderline and emotionally unstable personality