Boy develops mercury poisoning after cuddling his mum: case

He was exposed when he hugged his mother, who had unwittingly used mercury-laden skin cream, German doctors report

Parental cuddles gave a pre-schooler severe mercury poisoning after his mother unknowingly purchased a skin cream containing mercury online, German doctors report.

The case has exposed a previously unknown route of mercury exposure - skin-to-skin contact - say doctors from the Third Order Clinic in Munich.

The four-year-old boy was admitted to hospital with weakness, fatigue, profuse sweating, arterial hypertonia (114/104 mmHg) and tachycardia (>150 bpm).

He had also lost 2kg in

Latest