The case of a girl who swallowed 18 magnetic balls

They can pull the intestines together affecting blood flow, leading to necrosis, gangrene and perforation, doctors warn

The case of a four-year girl who swallowed 18 magnetic balls is a timely reminder to consider foreign body ingestion when otherwise healthy kids present with colicky abdominal pain, her treating doctors say.

The girl presented with a 10-day history of vomiting and abdominal and pain, and more recently constipation, which had been diagnosed as acute gastroenteritis and gastritis at other hospitals.

On examination, she was playful with normal vitals and a soft, non-tender abdomen and no palpable mass, say doctors

Latest