Common reflux drug leads to confusion in elderly patient: case
An elderly patient’s case has highlighted the dangers of an over-reliance on OTC medications, when he developed salicylate toxicity after downing up to two bottles of a popular reflux drug every day.
Doctors from the University of Toronto in Canada report the case of the 79-year-old man who presented to the ED with a one-week history of worsening confusion, inattention and ataxia resulting in two falls after previously walking independently.
He also had impaired hearing for the past week.
His medical history included atrial fibrillation,