GP slammed over 'doctor shopping' patient's death

The patient was travelling from Tasmania to Melbourne to get morphine scripts from the doctor, which he took on top of his usual medication for chronic back pain, a coroner's court found

A coroner has criticised a Melbourne GP after the accidental drug overdose of a Tasmanian father who 'doctor shopped', saying he should have checked with the man's local doctors. 

Brett Matthew Cashion, 48, was discovered dead by a neighbour at his home south of Hobart in September 2016. 

He had overdosed on morphine and quetiapine, a coroner's report published on Monday found. 

Mr Cashion suffered from chronic back pain and had for years engaged in doctor-shopping. 

From mid-2014, he made 16 trips to Melbourne where he was

Latest

Trending