Increasingly popular CAM leads to anaphylaxis: case

Melbourne doctors are reporting the first case of anaphylaxis from the green microalga Chlorella vulgaris

An elderly man has suffered the first recorded case of anaphylaxis from Chlorella vulgaris, a supplement increasingly being used for a range of medical conditions, Melbourne doctors report.

The 75-year-old man’s problems started when he ingested powdered C. vulgaris, a microalga, which he normally fed to his pigeons to prepare them for racing, write doctors from the general medicine department at Northern Health.

On targeted questioning, he admitted he taken two 4g doses of the C.vulgaris supplement — the first the day before his hospitalisation