Is this the world’s oldest misdiagnosis? Doctor says listeriosis, not lamprey, killed King Henry I

A US doctor has challenged the long-held belief the monarch died from poisoning after over-indulging on the ‘dangerous’ fish.
King Henry I of England.

For nearly 900 years, the sudden death of King Henry I of England has been attributed to accidental poisoning after dining on a large dish of lampreys, one of the ugliest fish on the planet.

But now a US-based doctor has challenged this centuries-old diagnosis and claimed the British monarch most likely died of acute meningitis secondary to Listeria monocytogenes.