Patient's overdose death in ED was 'readily preventable': coroner

The patient was found unresponsive while supposedly attached to monitoring equipment, heard the Coroners Court of Victoria

The overdose death of a patient who took his own oral opioids while in an ED cubicle was “readily preventable”, a coroner has found.

The patient, who had a history of chronic pain, PTSD and mood disorder was moved to a resuscitation cubicle after the overdose, and was discovered unresponsive by chance.

Staff reported they heard no alarms from monitoring equipment, and a junior doctor later said the leads had been “displaced”. 

The patient’s presenting complaints, on arrival

Latest