Sunspot therapy 'deadly' for pets

Patients need to know the cream is highly toxic if ingested by animals, say dermatologists

The occasional lick on the face from a pet dog or cat may seem harmless, but pet owners prescribed 5-fluorouracil have been urged to put a leash on such behaviour.


In a letter published in the British Journal of Dermatology, researchers suggest patients given the topical treatment for actinic keratoses need to be warned about its extreme toxicity to their canine and feline companions.

The adverse effects of 5-fluorouracil — erythema, irritation, photosensitivity and prolonged inflammation — are well known.

But the