Unexpected complication after toddler swallows mothball: case

The boy presented with 'alarming' dysphagia two weeks after the mothball was removed, say US doctors

Swallowing a mothball landed a toddler in hospital and a place on the list of medical firsts, after he developed an oesophageal stricture two weeks after it was successfully removed.

US doctors from the Florida State University College of Medicine reported the case of the 26-month-old boy who was airlifted to their hospital after swallowing the paradichlorobenzene-based mothball and developing respiratory distress.

On arrival at hospital he was pale and lethargic and only responded to painful stimuli.

A chest X-ray

Latest

Trending