What to do if you suspect a 'mystery' hepatitis case

More than 450 cases have been recorded so far in the global outbreak

GPs have been alerted to notify public health officials if they suspect acute hepatitis of unknown cause in a child as cases of the mystery illness continue to climb overseas.

Taking blood sample from child

Recent guidance issued by NSW and Victoria’s health departments recommends consultation with a gastroenterologist and sets out details of tests to order in the event of a possible paediatric case.

These include LFTs, hepatitis serology and testing for adenovirus when children present with jaundice. &nbsp