COVID-19 vaccines: An update on the safety and effectiveness data
The latest COVID-19 vaccination effectiveness and safety data from around the world have implications for Australia’s vaccine rollout
Need to know:
- The Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2 is associated with increased transmissibility and disease severity.
- Population-wide vaccine safety and effectiveness data are now available.
- The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine remains highly effective against variants of concern.
- The AstraZeneca vaccine is highly effective against severe disease due to Alpha and Delta variants.
- Neutralisation studies suggest the Moderna vaccine has similar efficacy to the Pfizer vaccine.
- Preliminary data show the Novavax vaccine may also have similar efficacy to the Pfizer vaccine.
- Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) after AstraZeneca vaccination is a rare but significant complication in all age groups, particularly those under 60.
The COVID-19 vaccine landscape is changing every day.