Call for mandatory register of pseudoephedrine buyers

EXPERTS are calling for pharmacy registration of pseudoephedrine requests to be mandatory, after a man suffered a stroke when he consumed nearly two bottles of cough mixture.

In a letter to the Medical Journal of Australia, Dr Peter New and Dr Ajay Bharatula report the case of a middle-aged male truck driver who presented to the emergency department with a disabling hypertensive haemorrhagic stroke.

The authors, from the acute rehabilitation unit at Southern Health in Melbourne, said the man had been episodically ingesting up to 2.5 bottles of cough mixture, equating to 600–1500 mg of pseudoephedrine