Rising cases of ‘slimming’ drug toxicity

A study found that callers to the NSW Poisons Information Centre reported 63 exposures to clenbuterol from 2004 to 2012, with at least 53 patients requiring hospitalisation. Exposure was commonly associated with misuse of slimming or bodybuilding products and a dramatic increase in calls was observed from three in 2008 to 27 in 2012.

Clenbuterol is approved as a Schedule 4 medicine in Australia for veterinary use as an equine bronchodilator and bovine tocolytic agent.

Although abuse is a well recognised doping issue among elite

Latest

Trending